Thursday, December 19, 2013

A little piece of Canada

As we anticipated the arrival of my parents, Ellianna get more excited each day, until the day we were going to the airport to pick them up.  She squealed with glee!  "Canada is Coming!!!"
They arrived safe with lots of goodies (I think they only packed 1 extra pair of clothes and filled the rest with stuff for us).  Kevin and Penny just went to visit their daughter for Christmas as well and I am assuming they did the same thing.
This is suitcase 1 of 3 so we got spoiled!
Jolen is now walking like a pro and does not want to be fed.  He will only eat if he gets to do it himself... well... last night we had perogies, with sour cream of course and how can you not love a face like his?
Another thing we were blessed to have my parents for is St. Nicholas' day in Ukraine.  The Ukrainian Orthodox Church celebrates it on Dec 19 (today) and instead of stockings on Christmas morning, you put your shoe out on Dec 18 night and get your shoe filled with goodies, or coal if you were naughty.

Funny thing I noticed though when taking my parents out and about here in Kiev is they notice how different things are.  I was talking to Colleen just the other night how even though we have been here only 6 months, you forget what things used to be like in Canada.  When I think of things here and Canada, I cannot differentiate the difference.  As far as I can tell, they are the same.  Canada, in some ways has become a distant memory, so much so that I forget what it is like.  I was reminded of this when "fresh" eyes came here and the differences are glaring and you remember for a little bit where you came from.

I know I have written about heaven alot lately and this time is not different.  Will we remember Earth, or our life here, when we get to heaven?  Will it be a distant memory, and more distant than when we have been there ten thousand years?  When we get to heaven and get "used" to it there, when new people "arrive" will we remember what we have been saved from more vividly?  My parents were asking us tonight if we like Ukraine and we both said "We Love It!"  Will I like/love heaven more than Ukraine?  I, in some ways, cannot imagine this as Ukraine is so real and home, but heaven (I know) will be my permanent home, a home with Jesus!  A home that will never be destroyed!  Not a temporary location like Canada, Ukraine, Earth, or even our sinful bodies, but a truly REAL Home!

I can't wait, and yet, I am terrified I will forget the love and friendships on this side of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment