Monday, August 18, 2014

The Mulching Mower Conundrum

As part of our rental agreement for our duplex, we are responsible for the upkeep of the lawn on our side of the property.  Part of upkeep is making sure your lawn is mowed.  Having lived in an apartment building in Sexsmith and then in Kiev (where the grass would get to the point where it needed mowing and then it would take them a month to actually mow it with a weedwacker), we have not had a need of a mower and one did not make the trip with us to Dauphin.

So, the first Saturday we were here, I went garage saling to find one.  Low and behold, the first sale I went to, they had an electric mulching mower.  Electric!  Great!  No need to fill with gas.  Electric!  Great!  GUTLESS!  The chord that came with it even almost stretches to all parts of our lawn, save 10 Ft Squared that I have to start up the mower and move fast because it will unplug and stop.  But enough about the electricity problem.

The thing that got me was the mulching property the mower has.  When I was a young sprout, we had a mower, but it had a bag.  So, one always had to check the bag and find a place to put all of the clippings.

I remember thinking to myself, "I wish there was a way to mow without having to always empty the bag"  and then it happened, a friend asked me to mow their lawn, and they didn't use a bag.  They just shot it out the side.  This was an ingenious idea, you mow the lawn and spew it everywhere.  It took much less time; well except for every 3rd time you mowed, you had to rake it up and bag it because it would begin to look unsightly.  Once again, I thought, "If only there was a way to not have to rake every 3rd time."  And then it happened, I bought an electric mulching mower 3 weeks ago, and no more bags, no more raking, just everything gets picked up, chopped and put back to keep nutrients in the soil.  Whoever thought of this was a genius!

Well, actually, whoever thought of this had no weeds in their lawn.

When we moved, we maybe had 10 dandelion plants on our yard; within 3 weeks of mulching (picking up the dandelion seeds and spreading them), our lawn has grown dandelions exponentially!  And all the money I have saved on not buying gas, I have spent at Canadian Tire buying Killex dandelion spray, but the battle is a lost cause.

As I was mowing the lawn this last time, I began thinking about those little seeds and sharing the gospel with others.  There are 3 different ways I thought of:  Someone who bags it all up and doesn't share,  Someone who shares with everyone, and others who share within a small, yet specific area.

On one hand, the lawn of the person who bags looks beautiful, with no dandelions.  Another spreads the seed everywhere, but with little aim and purpose, and the third, although only in a specific area, spreads exponentially.

I will be the first to admit that I do not go out and share Jesus with everyone, but, my prayer is that God will give me specific times to share and the wisdom and boldness to share when and where He desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment