Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Marvelouseness of Manitoba!

So..

I grew up in Alberta and was always a Conservative.  Makes sense as the Conservative government has been in provincial power for as long as I can remember.  Ralph Klein is a boyhood hero and Stephen Harper, our Conservative Prime Minister, has his local riding in Calgary, Alberta.

It was quite a shock coming to Manitoba.  Weekly I get surveys in the mail from the various political parties.  One such survey asked me who, and by who means which political party, is best served to guide the economy in Canada.  Being born and raised in Alberta, the answer is very simple, 'whoever puts the most money in my pocket'

I was sharing this at work one day and another co-worker commented 'You are such an Albertan Conservative, we need taxes!'  I was taken aback as I have never in my life heard such a response.

I did some research and found that, as I get paid bi-monthly, in Manitoba, I pay $44.17 more in taxes.  Now you may not think that is alot, but in the course of a year, 24 pay periods x $44.17 = $1060.08 per year.  This may not seem like much to you either, but if you think of how much one works say from 22 years of age to 62 years of age that's $42,403.20 over 40 years.  That's a pretty nice chunk of change, enough to easily live a year without working, so in essence from my point of view, if I lived in Alberta, I would get to retire one year early and if you were to ask my Mom how she likes early retirement, she says she absolutely loves it!

Plus, there is an 8% provincial sales tax, so in essence, when I buy something, I pay 8% more than my friends in Manitoba.

Now you may think I am being quite judgmental of Manitoba, and please know that I am not.  I am just trying to let you, the reader, know how different life is, even 10 hours away by car.

Life here, though is much less fast paced.  For instance, when it snows, I don't have to go out and shovel my snow, really at all all winter if I do not wish to.  The town sends someone around to clear my public portion of sidewalk, so I am only responsible to shovel the snow by my house.  Growing up in Vegreville, we lived on an almost busy street and the snow clearing crew would come and clean our streets of snow 1 time a year, sometime in March.  In Dauphin, we live on an extremely quiet street and it gets cleared every time it snows.

I don't have to pay for a library card at the public library, there is a free indoor playground for my children to play at during the winter (and summer when it gets too hot), and Parcels in the mail get delivered to my house.

I admit, I have only lived in Manitoba for 4 1/2 months now, but I think I would be OK to work for another year of my life if it means I don't have to break my back shoveling snow, and get the mail delivered straight to my door.  And, (wink, wink) I have people back in Alberta who can always buy me stuff PST free if I ever just feel like I am under the burden of the government.

That and it is pretty awesome that people feel sorry for me that I am an Oilers fan.

Sorry nothing Spiritual this week, unless you think of heaven and if we will be paying taxes there, or will our whole wage/worship go directly to God and all of our needs will be met and more!  Until next week, enjoy the taxes you spend and God bless.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has moved from Alberta to Ontario, I've encountered quite a few things that you mentioned! Although, I find the pace slightly quicker here than the communities I lived in in Alberta. So interesting how different our country is from coast to coast!

    ReplyDelete