Saturday, September 14, 2013

Weird Wacky Wonderful Week

So everyone in our household has been sick the last few days so I have not had the opportunity to write anything on my normal posting day on Thursday, but, I may have time now as it is 10:43 pm Kiev time, everyone is sleeping and everything is calm.

I actually thought the exact same thing last night and was poised to sit down and type when Jolen woke up, stayed up until midnight, woke up again at 3:00 am for a couple hours and was ready for the day at 8:00 this morning.

First I would like to take you back to Saturday.  The wonderful part.  We got a package from Canada!!!!
Is all this really for me?

Mmmm...Canada tastes so good!


Thanks to our wonderful friends at Meest (a shipping company to Ukraine) these packages arrived just in time for us to eat the wonderful food!!!

Apparently you can only buy birthday cards in one location in Ukraine, the Post Office.  I pride myself in being a patient person and one who is not alarmed by the unknown, but for some reason, I was lost when I went to the Post office later that day.  The post office to me is a very simple concept.  You go to the post office, get in line and then you get to the counter and buy your item.  In Ukraine, you go into the post office and there are 4 different cashiers, all with a different lineup and each cashier has a sign above their register stating what the line was for.  Well, I didn't see a line saying birthday cards so I got into one line, it took too long and then I got into another and I got very frustrated.  By the time I got to the till, I think maybe the cashier realized I was fuming mad or that I didn't know what I was doing because when I pulled out my dictionary and pointed to Birthday Card, she ran over to another cashier and grabbed them all from her desk  and brought them over for me to see.  Now I think if Hallmark came to Ukraine they could make a killing because I had the choice between a card with red flowers, pink flowers or white flowers.  As I like to get funny cards, I got even more frustrated by my "flowery" choice!  So, Aidyn ,you are getting a flowery card in the mail, Happy Birthday!  But it was weird that I got so mad!

Sunday, my hair needed cutting.  I went to a place to get my hair cut.  No problems until the very end, my hair got cut quite short except for the bangs.  I know this is not a picture of me, but I kid you not, this is the reflection I was looking at in the mirror when she was finished!
I found out that when you go to a hairdresser in Ukraine, they cut it the way they want to and not the other way around, but luckily I was able to communicate that the long bangs were not my style so I have a normal not Wacky haircut now.

Tuesday was and awesome day because the England football (soccer) team played against Ukraine in World Cup qualifying in Kiev!  Tickets were $100 and the game started at 9:45 pm on a school night so it was not possible to go, but it was cool that I was only a few Kilometers away from the National team the David Beckham used to play on!!!  The city was buzzing and we had a neat sight outside our window that afternoon.

This hot air balloon was weaving in and out of all the apartment buildings!  Well, the game kind-of was disappointing as they played for 1 1/2 hours and the score was 0-0.

Our family got a little homesick this week so we also made milkshakes one night in our "enormous" kitchen.

At least the kitchen is bigger than our "hallway" kitchen in our first trailer as it literally was the hallway in the trailer.

I was reminded this week of how good God is, even in the weird, wacky and wonderful times.  He deeply cares for us and amid all this craziness we call life, He is there guiding our hot air balloon lives through the tall buildings in the city that is our lives!

No blog next week as the school is going on their annual retreat out of the city and away from civilization.  See you in 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment