Thursday, May 29, 2014

Are we still in Ukriane?

The culture in Ukraine is very community minded.  For example, we were riding on the subway and a man with about 3 teeth comes up to us and gives us a bag of apples and cookies without saying a word, and then gets off the train.  Colleen and I looked at each other and said, "If we were in Canada, these cookies and apples would go straight to the trash, but because we are in Ukraine, we will eat them."  People in Ukraine give stuff away for free, without anyone thinking suspicious thoughts.  As well, if you have leftover food and it is still good, you put it in a clean bag and place it beside a trash can, signaling it is still good food and whoever wants it can have it.  As we lived in Ukraine, we began to accept free things with gratitude.

Move months later to Canada.  In the past couple of weeks, I have been given things for free, whether it be a service or items.

Our van came with a signal switch that does not cancel, meaning that if I turn on my signal light and turn a corner, it would not turn off.  I bought a used one from the auto-wrecker and installed it.  When we took the van out for a drive to check it, it would not cancel when we turned left.  So, the next day I called the auto-wrecker to inform them that I needed a different switch and was told it was in working order when they sold it to me so there was no problem with the switch and there must be a problem with the driveshaft.  Discouraged, and not knowing a thing about driveshafts, I took the van to the mechanic to check out the problem.  He looked at the steering column and the switch and concluded the switch was at fault and wrote me a note to give to the auto-wrecker.  I asked how much I owe, because I took up his time, and he said it was free of charge.

Nervously, I made my way to the auto-wrecker, expecting a fight.  I went in, made my case and got the switch ordered with no difficulty; they didn't even want the note from the mechanic.  Myself and the partsman walked to the van because we needed a couple more small parts and he put them on order with the new switch I needed.  Wondering how much these other parts would cost, I got a phone call 2 days later that my parts were in and they were free.  No charge.

We were driving on a gravel road a couple of days ago and ran over some gravel that had been piled up by the grader.  Now funny noises were coming from my van.  Begrudgingly, I brought the van in again to the mechanic, wondering the cost of the fix this time.  He looked at it, said there were a couple of pebbles stuck in the serpentine belt, but it would weaken the belt to remove them so they left them in and the noises were normal and he could not see a problem.  Again, no charge.

Coming from a culture where people look out for each other and returning to Canada, I have been blessed to learn that people here still care.  I would challenge you to look for opportunities this week to bless someone else without expecting something in return.  For example, buy the coffee for the person behind you in the drive through, or buy a chocolate bar for the kid in line next to you.  Share God's love as He freely bestows it upon us.

On a separate note, I laugh because the majority of pictures I take of Jolen are of him eating.  Hope you enjoy our cute kids and how they are enjoying being spoiled by everyone here in Canada!





Ellianna is her father's daughter
Felt good to catch some good old Canadian Jackfish

No comments:

Post a Comment