Sunday, May 25, 2014

Skinny Diapers and Soup Kitchens - Memories of Kiev Christian Academy

As Thursday was KCA's Graduation, (Congratulations to all of the graduates) I thought I would share a couple of memories from each class I taught.

 Grade 12 - Seniors

I only taught this class the first semester but had a wonderful time teaching Spiritual Formation.

Part of the curriculum is to teach Spiritual Disciplines by Richard Foster.  The time came to teach Service and I thought to myself, why not act out Service instead of just teaching.  So for the class, we went outside and raked the leaves.  Now, you have to understand Ukraine, or maybe just Maple trees in general.  They don't have small leaves that are easy to rake, but huge leaves that take alot of effort.  Me, being from Canada (The Maple Leaf Country) I have never witnessed a Maple tree as we don't' have them very much in Alberta.  Afterwards, I went out to the local coffee shop and bought them coffees and really enjoyed teaching through action and not just standing in front of the class.

Another memory was how I tried to set JooSeok (Pronounced Jew-Sack) up with every girl in the class.  I wasn't successful but I sure had alot of fun trying and someday JooSeok, you will find the girl of your dreams!

Grade 11 - Sophomores
(Funny thing, me being Canadian wrote Softmores and had to get it spellchecked)

I taught a class on Ideas and how to achieve great ideas.  If you have ever studied the process of idea-ology, or if you have ever brainstormed, you will know there are three stages of idea creating. 1st - the obvious - the safe answers are thrown out first.  2nd - the crazy ridiculous - Usually this is where the idea creating stops as the more conservative people out there think this is pointless and shut down the frivolousness.   3rd - the Awesome - from the silly and crazy comes a great idea so Please don't stop your brainstorming when things get silly, this just means you are poised for greatness!!!  I asked the class if they had any crazy ideas that had potential to be awesome - THEN - Krash stood up and yelled out "Skinny Diapers" - Diapers that don't look like diapers so you don't have to run to the bathroom all the time between classes - said the man who drinks 2 litres of water each and every class and wonders why he is always late because he has to go to the bathroom!

Another memory was when our class was doing presentations on heroes of the Faith.  One student asked if it had to be someone famous or anyone.  I said anyone, so they told a story in class of a father in Kazakhstan who took his two daughters to school one morning and returned home to find robbers in his house.  His wife was killed but through this the seed of the Gospel spread and the church grew.  And then the student ended the presentation with "And ... I really miss my Mom."  You can read about this stuff in a book or on a blog, but it really hit home that people are out there dying for Jesus every single day.

Grade 9 - Freshmen

I have a couple of projects to show you of book charts they were to do (if you went to PRBI 10 years ago, these should look all too familiar)

 
 
 
We were raising money for a Soup Kitchen ministry that the school supported and I told my grade 9 class that if they raised the most money, I would treat them to Pizza at our apartment one day.  Well, every class I passed around the jar for money and one student confessed to me that she packed a lunch that day but told her mom she needed money to buy food from the school canteen.  Then proceeded to put all of that money into the Soup Kitchen Jar.  (Not an action I condone by the way)  The students gave from their allowances and babysitting money and raised over $100.  Every day they would complain about giving money and what if they didn't win the pizza party.  My answer remained the same "Who is the real winner?"  and they learned to respond in a monotone reply "The Soup Kitchen"  At the end of the campaign, my class won and had a wonderful time eating pizza and watching Veggietales at our apartment.
 
Grade 8
 
I remember trying to explain how God loves us no matter what and that His love is equal for us and it is not dependant on what we do.  So, I married off a couple of students who had 3 kids, also students, who married other students.  At the end of the lesson, one student robbed the bank of his brother-in-laws who confessed to the other brother in law who was a pastor.  I don't know how it got there, but, the question came to the parent "Which child do you love more?  The one who married a pastor?  The one who married a Banker?  Or the one in Jail?"  And the answer came back "All of them equally."  So maybe that was a lesson that hit home.  And the rest of the year we would joke about how Andrew married Ye-Jin and how Fisher robbed Lukas' bank.  Great memories, maybe you just had to be there, but if you have ever met me, this story may make some sense.
 
Study Hall
 
I was the X and O Champion and I challenge anyone to a game - if you dare!
 
French
 
I laugh at this one because, I am Canadian, therefore, I must know French.  Sorry, I speak Spanish and Russian better.
 
 
Overall, Thank you KCA for a great year and a million memories of only a couple I could share with you today because of space!  I Love you all and Miss you tons.

No comments:

Post a Comment