Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Difference of Perspective



Today, I was invited to travel along with the Grade 9 class to the Chernobyl museum.  Going there with a bunch of people who did not live through it definitely was shocking!  Although on April 26, 1986 at 1:23 am (April 25, 4:23 pm Alberta Time) I was only 3 years old, I still remember the effects of the cold war.  And as most of you reading this are older than me, and remember this happening (except you Emily), this event probably sinks in deeper to you than me.  But I tell you, seeing the perspective from the this side of the pond sure brings about a different attitude.

A couple of things stuck out to me.  One, the New York Times had the disaster on the front page of the newspaper giving it full exposure to us in North America.  In Ukraine, there was a small write-up in the bottom left-hand corner on page 3 of the newspaper.  And much of the information in the museum was only released in 1991 after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Another, the museum is a tribute to the heroes that went to the front lines and payed dearly with their lives.  Nuclear disasters are terrible, terrible, terrible.  Ukraine has passed a law that no one is allowed to inhabit the immediate surrounding area of Chernobyl for 2000 years.  The people were evacuated, never to return.

As we were in the museum, I presented a question to the students.  "What if you went home from school today and your parents told you you were moving away and as soon as you got into the house you were ushered away never to see your friends again.  The only life you know is now gone.

I got quite upset when the class just smiled at me and said, "Facebook!"  "They must have had cell phones back then"

They did not even want to try to think of a world without ... Facebook, Internet, Cell Phones, Immediate Communication, Running Water, Electricity, etc.

My heart breaks for this generation that will not even try to put themselves in another person's shoes.

But then, I began thinking of myself.  I do not want to think about how my jokes hurt others.  How me making fun of someone makes them feel.  How my sin makes God feel.  How Jesus died for MY sin.  Jesus humbly said "I will put myself in your shoes"  "I will take the punishment for sin you deserve and will suffer the ultimate punishment for you!  All because I love you!"

I am excited because tomorrow I am teaching on celebration and when you know Jesus, it is an eternal Celebration!!!


A couple of neat photos from our week
Jolen learned how to sleep standing up!

Noodles are a favorite around the house (I did her hair by the way!)
The night sky outside our window
That is the moon that is so bright!  Beautiful!

Will they ever stop eating?  I think we already have a couple of teenagers!






No comments:

Post a Comment