Thursday, November 14, 2013

huge heaping helping of humilty!

If any of you have ever taught School, or Sunday School, or piano or just about anything else ... Hey, if you have ever been to church, school, McDonalds or just plain been around people; there always is that one person that you think (maybe secretly or out loud) would make the place better if they were not there.

I have such a student, this student is smart as a whip but will not complete assignments, only answers a couple answers on each test I give, even though I know they have gotten 100% when no one else did.  They speak out of turn in class, show up late, don't take notes, and ask the weirdest way out in left field questions.  If I was to be honest, I confess, I do believe KCA would be a better place without this person.

If you know me, I tend to ruffle a few feathers everywhere I go and KCA is no exception.  I have had a few students say to me "Mr. Johnson (weird to be called that), could we talk."  "Oh, No" this is going to end in my wife telling me how unintelligent I was regarding this person and I deservedly deserve it.

Well, Monday happened and one student came up to me and asked "Mr. Johnson, could we talk?"

My heart sank, "What did I do now?"  So for 10 minutes, every thing I have ever said to this person flew through my mind, trying to pre-emptively know what they were coming to confront me about.

10 minutes was up and in this student walked, "Mr. Johnson ... I don't think Bob (fake name for the student who grates on my every-single-nerve) has any friends.  I don't think Bob knows Jesus.  I came to you because you are my Bible teacher and I was wondering what I can do for Bob?"

Any pride I had in me evaporated like water in the dead sea, leaving behind a sediment of shame and guilt.  This student who is not an adult, sure is a whole lot more mature than me.  I should have been the example to the class of what true love is to Bob.  I, the teacher, should be Jesus to Bob, but I have not been.  Let's just say, the student has surpassed the teacher.  Here again, I my students are teaching me.  I am beginning to wonder if I am the one who should be attending KCA as all the lessons seem to be directed toward me instead of the other way around.

Immediately Philippians came to mind Chapter 2 verses 1 - 11

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
 
Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death
        even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.
 
A few students of mine were reminiscing with me about past years and there was one common theme "KCA" changes people.  (OK not KCA but God, but it seems to be a common occurrence within the walls of the school)
 
God has changed my attitude towards Bob and I am proud to say I have been much more humble in regards to Bob and I don't know if it is God working in the heart of Bob or my heart or maybe a little of both, but God truly is faithful at KCA, my life, your life and all around this giant ball of dirt we call home (Earth)!

No comments:

Post a Comment